The Royal Company has been the Sovereign’s Personal Body Guard in Scotland since King George IV conferred that particular honour in 1822. The Royal Company undertakes duties at the request of The Queen at any State and ceremonial occasion in Scotland. The most regular duty is to be in attendance at Her Majesty’s annual Garden Party at the Palace of Holyroodhouse.
The form of ceremonial duties today dates from the first State Visit paid to Edinburgh by Their Majesties King George V and Queen Mary in July 1911. Amongst other engagements, The King presented new Colours to The Royal Company in the garden of Holyroodhouse, inaugurated the Chapel of the Order of the Thistle in St Giles Cathedral and hosted a Garden Party at the Palace of Holyroodhouse at which ‘all the members of the Body Guard on duty were present.’